Saturday, September 5, 2009

Whiteout

Watched the WORLD premiere of the movie Whiteout last night. You poor folks in the "real" world still have what a week? Yeah we're pretty freaking awesome down here. Tripp worked directly with Warner Brothers to get us a copy of the movie and to have a WORLD premiere showing of the movie. It was pretty freaking sweet. If I knew nothing about this place, the movie would have been plausible and believable. However...watching while down here was just hilarious. We all had a really good time watching/heckling the movie.

Oh and for those of you who may see it and have never been down to the ice, it's totally real I swear. Everything you see! Man it's rough down here! Gotta go see if Tripp's up and able to make me a latte ;}

Oh and I decided to make pizza rolls for today. Back home, and a quite a few years back the local pizza place, Eaton Pizza (not a clever pun, it's the city I spent most of my life in), used to make pizza rolls and they were freaking awesome. Then they stopped making them because they said they were too much work/hassle. And I can attest to that fact.

This was the first time I've ever made a dough, for bread or anything. It's really simple when you have a industrial food mixer thing, forgot what they are called. The dough came out perfect last night. Krissie and I then went about making the rolls, the first few I made were completely non homogeneous, one was huge, the next was tiny, etc. When Krissie took over the dough pulling the sizes were far more equal. Well they looked pretty good when we were done. I have them in the fridge now to bake in about an hour from now.

I baked one of them last night to see how they turned out, pretty darn good. They needed far more stuffing in them (cheese and meat), but aside from that they are really good, especially for my first attempt. I tried to make more dough this morning so I could make some more, but so far it isn't "proofing" correctly. I didn't measure out the yeast as precise as I did last night, so that's more than likely the reason. I also halved the recipe so, dunno, maybe that was it. Who knows. I'll try again next weekend.

Hopefully everything turns out, and folks like them.

Oh and the damn sun is coming up, making the sky orange. I have very mixed feelings about this. When I think about it I get a bit depressed: I guess it's because it's marking the end of the adventure. However, as soon as I go outside and see the blue sky and the light from the sun I uncontrollably start smiling and feel much better. I guess this is the what bittersweet feels like. I've never experienced it before. It's an odd feeling to say the least.

Here are a few photos for your viewing pleasure:

This was taken on 9-1, my nephews b-day :}. The bright orange you see is not the sun, it's a light on the rodwell there (the smoke stack). The sun was just starting to show its dirty face.This was taken while launching a balloon with Krissie, this was to my back.


And this was what was in front of me. Still very dark, with a full moon out. I still have not figured out how to take a shot with the moon looking like the moon rather than the sun...

The sun is coming up quite quickly now, expected full sunrise is 9-22 I believe.

This was taken on 9-4 just 3 days later, you can see the sun starting to turn the sky orange. It's very painful taking photos without that sweet lens, but you do what you can do.

1 comment:

CJ said...

Those are great pictures. It's good you got to see the movie early. It must be weird to have no full sunrise till the equinox and for it to mark the beginning of spring and the end to an adventure.